Made a Miss K recipe? Be sure to tag me on Instagram and #MissK_J6 so I can check out all your amazing recreations!
healthier lemon and blueberry protein cake
- 1 1/2 c wholewheat pasty flour
- 1 1/2c vanilla protein powder (can sub with wholewheat pastry flour)
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 c natural sweetener
- 3/4 c coconut oil (or soften butter)
- 1/3 c lemon juice
- 2 egg whites (or whole eggs)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 c blueberries
Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 c extra light cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3/4-1 c natural sweetener
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp freeze dried blueberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175C. Line two 8″ spring form cake tins with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, protein powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the sweetener, almond milk, oil, eggs, lemon juice and zest and vanilla extract together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients gently mix until just combined.
- Evenly spoon the mix between the two cake tins. Bake for 30-35mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Place cakes onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Icing– place all the frosting ingredients into food processor and pulse until smooth. Place in refrigerator whilst preparing the cake.
- Building the cake-
- Cake one -create a flat top on the cake by using a knife to cut the top off. Place this cake on your cake plate, then spread the icing over the top.
- Cake two – place onto the previous cake and then spread the remaining icing over the top.
- Allow to set in fridge for an hour.