When it’s one of your favorite humans birthday and their favorite choccie is Cherry Ripe– you must make a healthier cherry ripe protein cake! Happy birthday to my beautiful MUM! This cake is for you!
And because it’s a birthday cake I like to spend a little extra time and care into making something spectacular! I love the look for layered cakes and I think they suit the role of a birthday cake perfectly. However, it took me a little while to master how to actually layer a cake! It can be so difficult and the recipes can be super long and complex! Though this recipe is still more complex than my usual recipes, if you follow the steps it was relatively easy to make. Just make sure you read the recipe first and prepare.
If you feel like adding a little treat to the top if the cake you can indulge and add the real deal cherry ripe! As it’s a birthday cake I think the birthday girl has the right to have an extra treat! But if you want to ditch the processed chocolate bar, I have a healthier copy cat cherry ripe bar here, which I think is just as delish!
My birthday is in a week! I am having such a hard time deciding what cake I should make, EK! Any ideas would be much appreciated 🙂
- 1 1/2 c wholewheat pastry flour (iherb.com discount code TQT398)
- 2 c shredded zucchini
- 1 c vanilla protein powder
- 2/3 c hazelnut meal (or almond meal)
- 3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 c raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 c natural sweetener
- 1/2 c coconut oil
- 1/2 c maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites (can use whole eggs)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c shredded coconut
- 1 c dried or freeze dried cherries – blended
- 1/2c natural sweetener sweetener
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp natural red colouring or 2 tbsp beetroot juice.
- 1 c extra light cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 c no fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 c raw cacao powder
- 1 c natvia icing mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
Topping the cake
- 3-4 copy cat healthy cherry ripe protein bars – recipe here (or a cherry ripe bar)
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line two 8″ spring form cake tins with baking paper. Set aside.
- Cherry ripe layer- Line two 8″ spring form cake tins with baking paper. Set aside. Place the “cherry ripe” ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Then push the mix into the cake tin and place in freezer until required.
- If you need the cake tins- just place in the freezer for 15 mins for the shape to set and then remove from the cake tin so you can use it. But leave the cherry ripe in the freezer.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, protein powder, hazelnut meal, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the sweetener, applesauce, oil, eggs and vanilla extract together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients gently mix until just combined. Gently stir the zucchini.
- Evenly spoon the mix between the two cake tins. Bake for 30-35mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
- Place cakes onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Frosting– place all the frosting ingredients into a large bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes (this can be done without an electric mixer). Place in refrigerator whilst preparing the cake.
- Building the cake-
- Cake one -create a flat top on the cake by using a knife to cut the top off. Place this cake on your cake plate, then place one layer of “cherry ripe” on top.
- Cake two – cut this cake, evenly, in half and place one half onto the previous cake/cherry ripe layer. Place the remaining cherry ripe layer on top and then the remaining layer of cake.
- Frosting- remove the frosting from the refrigerator and evenly spread it all over the the cake.
- Slice your cherry ripe or copy cat cherry ripe roughly and place on top of the cake.
- Allow to set in fridge for an hour.