Meal prep Sundays, this honestly makes my working week so much easier. Over the last two weeks I was so busy and didn’t take the time to prep my food. This was a very bad decision.
Coming home after work, sometimes close to 12 hour shifts, I will be the first to say I cannot be bothered to cook dinner. I am just so exhausted and want to curl up in bed. It would be so much easier to grab something take away on the way home. Which is what I did a few times last week. But not this week. This week meal prep was on my mind.
What better way to prep for the week ahead than with lasagna! I love lasagna, any type I am not fused. But this week I wanted to make an eggplant (and veggo) version of lasagna. That way when I come home from work I can just reheat and dinner is done! This week is going to be a good week! I also bulk prep my oat for the mornings, I cook them in a slow cooker – super simple. And then just spoon some onto a mason jar and run out the door in the mornings. Easy, peasy.
Lunch is a little more difficult for me. I really am quite busy at the hospital and rarely get time to sit down and get lunch. But I prepped chickpea last week and then just chucked some salad in a container with the chickpeas and could have that as I was working. And I always have a protein bar ready for snack time!
Made a Miss K recipe? Be sure to tag me @missk_j6 and #MissK_J6 on instagram, so I can check out all your amazing recreations!
vegetarian eggplant lasagna- pastaless
- 2 c (500g) low fat cottage cheese
- 1 red onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 green capsicum (roughly chopped)
- 3 tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste/or omit)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c (100g) light cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 500g of pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp natural sweetener (I used Natvia)
- 1/4 c sugar free BBQ sauce
- 2 medium eggplants cut lengthwise into 8 (approx 0.5 cm thick) slices
- 2 large zucchini cut lengthwise into 8 (approx 0.5 cm thick) slices
- Place all of the filling ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Zucchini & eggplant
- Preheat the oven to 190C, line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice each zucchini and eggplant lengthwise into 8, approx 0.5 cm thick slices, I used the mandolin side of a cheese grater.
- Place the zucchini and eggplant onto paper towels and blot any excess liquid.
- Place the zucchini and eggplant on the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Constructing the Lasagna
- Keep the oven to 190C and spray a large casserole dish with EVOO.
- Lay out the eggplants slices until the bottom of the dish is covered and then spread about half of the filling onto the eggplant. Spread approximately 200g of the pasta sauce over the top.
- Then place the zucchini over the top until it is fully covered and then spread about half of the filling onto the zucchini. top with the remaining eggplant.
- Spread the rest of pasta sauce over the top along with the BBQ sauce, sprinkle the sweetener over the top and then the cheese.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbling (I cover mine with aluminum foil at about 20 minutes).
Nutrition per serve – Calories 157, Protein 14, Carbs 14, Fat 5.