Carrot cake protein bread
- 2 c shredded carrot
- 2/3 c wholewheat pastry flour
- 1/2 c vanilla protein powder (or wholewheat pastry flour)
- 1/2 c almond meal
- 1/2 c natural sweetener (or coconut palm sugar )
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 2/3 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c almond milk
- 1 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 c walnuts
Cream cheese frosting
- 1 c extra light cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 c natvia icing mix (or a fine sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line an 8×8″ loaf tin with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the sweetener, applesauce, oil, egg and vanilla extract together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients gently mix until just combined. Gently stir the almond meal and shredded carrots. *add walnuts here.
- Pour the batter into the tin. Bake for 50-60 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, cover with aluminum foil half way (about 30 mins) to prevent the top from burning.
- Place onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Frosting: Place all the frosting ingredients into a large bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes (this can be done without an electric mixer, I just mash with a fork but you need room temp cream cheese).
- Once the loaf has cooled evenly spread the frosting over the top. I had no left over walnut to sprinkle on top so I added some shredded coconut.