- 1 1/2 c wholewheat pastry flour
- 1 c vanilla protein powder
- 1c almond meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 c grated carrots (I used a mix of both orange and purple carrots)
- 1/2c coconut palm sugar (or natural sweetener)
- 1/2c natural sweetener
- 1 c coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites (can use whole eggs)
- 3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Additional 1/2 c walnuts
Cream cheese frosting
- 1 c extra light cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 c no fat Greek yogurt
- 1 c natvia icing mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line two 8″ spring form cake tins with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the coconut palm sugar, sweetener, applesauce, oil, eggs and vanilla extract together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients gently mix until just combined. Gently stir the almond meal and carrots. *add walnuts here.
- Evenly spoon the mix between the two cake tins. Bake for 30-35mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
- Place cakes onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Frosting– Place all the frosting ingredients into a large bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes (this can be done without an electric mixer).
- Building the cake- create a flat top on each cake by using a knife to cut the top off the cakes. Place one cake on your a cake plate, then evenly spread 2/3c of frosting over the top. Carefully place the remaining cake on top and evenly spread the rest of frosting all over the top of the cake.
- I added a few walnuts on top.