Warm cinnamon apple pie x apple crumble. Butter-y pie crust topped with sweet cinnamon-y apples.
This apple pie is NOT packed with butter or sugar.
Plus it’s only 142 calories per serve.
I think the smell of apple pie cooking has to be one of the most delicious scents ever. Just be careful if you are baking on an empty stomach it will send you into munching over-drive. I never bake on an empty stomach because if I did I would eat SO much of whatever I was cooking…
Like if I was baking this pie on an empty tummy I would honestly eat half the unbaked pie crust. Yep #yolo salmonella. Then would have devoured almost all of the apples, because they taste so good one their own. And then that crumble topping would have disappeared and it would have been a topless apple pie.
This pie is a SUPER apple pie with the addition of a crumble topping, it just takes this to the next level. And really it is quite simple to make. I can believe I haven’t made a MissK healthy apple pie sooner. I have made lots of other apple pie type treats, especially brekkie style. And then my hub asked me last week to make and apple pie and I was like ohhhh yes! And it turned out perfectly first go (this is a rare occurrence, it usually takes a few goes at a recipe before it is just right).
This recipe is very easy veganise-able, just make sure you use vegan vanilla protein and a vegan ice-cream recipe.
You could make this in a 9-10″ flan tin (pie tin) if you’d like, just double the pie crust ingredients and bake for the same amount of time. And if you were feeling like a little more crunch in your bite, the addition of walnut in the crumble would be perfect!
Now when it comes to serving apple pie, I just have one rule that MUST be followed. Reheat it fro approx. 30-40 second in the microwave and then dollop a generous mount of vanilla ice-cream on top, this can be protein vanilla ice-cream, vanilla greek yogurt ice-cream, sugar-free vanilla ice-cream, ice-cream ice-cream, just add the ice-cream.
And this is why I love apple crumble pie.
Made a Miss K recipe? Be sure to tag me on instagram and #MissK_J6 so I can check out all your amazing recreations!
Healthy apple crumble protein pie
- 1/2 c vanilla protein powder
- 1 c wholewheat pastry flour
- 1/4 c coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp natural sweetener
- 2 tbsp water
- 450g green apples (thinly slice – I use the mandolin side of my grater ~5 medium sized apples)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp natural sweetener
- 1 tsp sugar free maple syrup (Or pure maple syrup/agave)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 c rolled oats
- 1/2 c vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c of natural sweetener (or 1/2 c coconut sugar)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 175C. Line an 8″ pie tin with baking paper (with loose base or spring-form, if it has the flute edges make sure you liberally spray with EVOO).
- Pie crust
- Mix the crust ingredients in a bowl and then press into the baking tin, using a fork pierce the pie crust around the edges. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Apple pie filling
- In a medium sized mixing bowl place all the filling ingredients and mix well. Set aside until required.
- An another medium sized bowl, place all the dry crumble ingredients and toss well, then add the apple sauce and mix until a crumble forms (I used my hands).
- Once the pie crust has finished baking, remove it from the oven and pour the apple pie filling evenly onto the crust. Then sprinkle the crumble over the top and try to cover all the apple pie filling.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes (until the apples have softened) I cover my pie at about 20 minutes with aluminum foil to prevent the edges form burning.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the tin (I allowed mine to cool for 3 hours before slicing).