Healthy smokey BBQ turkey & zucchini meatloaf! With over 33g protein and less than 5g fat per slice.
One of my all time favorite foods, is meatloaf. I think it’s because my mum makes THE BEST meatloaf, hands down. I always get excited when I know she is making meatloaf. I make sure I get the end bits, which are a little burnt, crunchy and caramelised. AH SO YUM!
So last weekend I gave it a go! Obviously, I changed a few ingredients. Mainly the meat source. Mum uses beef and sausage mince, I wanted to use 97% fat free turkey mince. I had to call mum up and get the run down of how to make it I pretty much knew all the ingredients anyway but just needed to clarify timing and oven temps etc.
This meatloaf is so simple to make. Mum’s meatloaf is ALL ABOUT THE SAUCE! I love sauce, I have sauce with everything, like even garlic bread. And mum’s meatloaf BBQ sauce is by far my fave. So finally getting the recipe was pretty exciting 🙂
Also I love making dinners in bulk, as this is just for me and my husband, it will be our dinner for the up coming week. #mealprepsundays YAY! That means I am prepared for each dinner and I won’t be tempted to just grab some takeaway at the hospital. Because the next few weeks I am working evenings. So that means being super prepared for dinner, as it will be busy and I may only get 10-15 minutes to sit down the entire shift and these shifts make it even more tempting to grab something to go.
You can have whatever you like to accompany this. Veggies like green beans or corn, rice or potatoes, even on a sandwich/warp!
Lately, I have been enjoying muesli with Greek yogurt, berries, mint and a little more maple syrup for brekkie lately. And this muesli combo is delish! It’s a choc coconut goji berry mix ♡♥♡
Made a Miss K recipe? Be sure to tag me on Instagram and #MissK_J6 so I can check out all your amazing recreations!
Healthy turkey & zucchini meatloaf
- 1kg turkey mince
- 2 eggs
- 1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 c shredded zucchini
- 1 c oat flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp mince garlic
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c naturally sweetened BBQ sauce (I used Fountain sweetened with Natvia)
- 1/2 c naturally sweetened tomato sauce (I used Fountain sweetened with Natvia)
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/3 c natural sweetener (Natvia)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 table coconut butter
- 1 tsp of instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 180℃
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, egg, onion, zucchini, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and oat flour. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased baking tray and form into a loaf.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- In a medium sized sauce pan combine all the sauce ingredients (I always double my sauce recipe because I like sauce). Mix well and place on the stove on a medium heat. stir until the coconut butter has melted, approx 10 minutes, and then turn the heat to low and leave until the meatloaf has finished.
- Once the meatloaf has finished (at 30mins) pour the sauce over the meatloaf.
- Turn the heat down to 160℃ and bake for 45 minutes. Every 10 mins or so I pour the sauce that has collect down the side of the tray over the meatloaf.
Nutrition per serve – Calories 236, Protein 33, carbs 17, fat 4.