Rich fluffy baked chocolate donuts smothered in sweet red velvet cream cheese frosting. High in protein, low in fat and only 134 calories per donut!
Help, I can’t stop eating red velvet! I am addicted. BIG time. I just love the bright, vibrant colour and of course the taste. You can’t go wrong with chocolate. Protein donuts, or pronuts, are one of my favorite foods post workout. They have a good amount of protein and carbs, grow muscles GROW!
And those “sparkles” are home-made! And not packed full of sugar. I am still trying to perfect these, but I think they are such a fun addition to healthy baking.
Investing in a donut pan has been one of the best decisions I have made! I use it all the time. I mean I do love donuts though. It was pretty cheap as well, I got it online for under $10 (I just googled and found the cheapest).
A good tip to make it a little easier to get the batter into the donut holes, is to pipe it (rather than using a schpoon- sorry I am so tired haha but yes schpoon such a better word than spoon). But I don’t have a piping bag? either do I! haaha, I really should get one… So what I do is just fill up a sandwich bag with the batter and then cut a corner off the bottom of the bag (one side only) and this acts as a piping bag, a poor student style piping bag. This will make it a lot easier, and cleaner, getting the batter where it is meant to go!
Don’t forget to tag me on intsagram if you make a MissK recipe- just #MissK_J6. I love seeing all your recreations!
healthy chocolate pronut (protein donut) with red velvet cream cheese frosting
- 1/2 c chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 c lite spelt flour (or oat flour)
- 1/3 c natural sweetener
- 1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (can omit)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder (can omit – but makes it more chocolate-y)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Double choc chunk quest bar roughly chopped distributed evenly over the wells or vegan choc chips
Cream cheese frosting
- 1 c low fat cream cheese (room temp)
- 1/4 c no fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp beet powder (or a tsp red food coloring)
- 1/2 c natvia icing mx
- 1/4 c vegan choc chips (iherb.com discount code is TQT398)
- Pre-heat oven to 165C. Lightly spray two 6 donut pan cooking spray (or 1 larger one with 12 wells)
- In a medium bowl, add flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- In another medium sized bowl, mix the egg, sweetener and applesauce together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix, batter should be thick.
- Mix in quest bar.
- Evenly distribute into the donut pan. Lightly tap the pan on counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the donut comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the topping ingredients, except the choc chips. When the donuts have slightly cooled spread the frosting over each donut and then top with the choc chips.
Serves 6-9 donuts
Macro nutrients (per 9 donuts) – Calories 134 per donut (with frosting) P 12, C 8, F 6