Four delicious layers of carrot cake goodness, lathered with sweet, cream cheese frosting and crunchy walnuts. This is the perfect afternoon cake at only 185 calories per slice.
Made a Miss K recipe? Be sure to tag me on instagram and #MissK_J6 so I can check out all your amazing recreations!
healthy quadruple layer carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
- 1 1/2 c wholewheat pastry flour
- 1 c vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 c almond meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 c grated carrots
- 1/2 c coconut sugar (or natural sweetener)
- 1/2 c natural sweetener
- 1/2 c coconut oil
- 3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
Cream cheese frosting
- 1 1/2 c extra light cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 c no fat Greek yogurt
- 1 c natvia icing mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line two 8×8″ brownie tins with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the coconut palm sugar, sweetener, applesauce, oil, eggs and vanilla extract together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients gently mix until just combined. Gently stir the almond meal and carrots. *add walnuts here.
- Evenly spoon the mix between the two cake tins. Bake for 30-35mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
- Place cakes onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Frosting– Place all the frosting ingredients into a large bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes (this can be done without an electric mixer).
- Building the cake- Slice both cakes in half, so you have 4 rectangular slices of cake. Place one cake on your a cake plate, then evenly spread 2 tbsp of frosting over the top. Repeat with all four layer. Carefully place the remaining cake on top and evenly spread the rest of frosting all over the top of the cake.
- I added a few walnuts on top.