When it comes to trying to pack in 5 serves of veggies a day, I think we all find it tough. I love big salads with lunch and dinner to try and have veggies where ever possible but sometime I don’t quite make 5, especially as I LOVE desserts so much.
So when I can sneak veggies into my sweet treats, I am thrilled! And Ta Da, I welcome my healthy zucchini & banana protein choc chip muffins. Now I know most of you will be thinking, Miss K you are CRAZY! I bet you can taste the zucchini!
Honestly, you really can’t. I think bananas have such an amazing, yet overpowering flavor that it really masks the zucchini. So why did I add them? I think they give muffins a little extra moistness (haha, sorry about that word but they do!) And it’s a way of easily adding in some veggies to our diets and if you have little kiddies that hate veggies or are fussy eaters, this would be a great way to introduce the ‘fun’ side of veggies!
- 1 c wholewheat pasty flour (oat flour)
- 1 c french vanilla protein powder (you can omit and double up on your flour of choice)
- 1 c mashed overly ripe banana (approx. 2-3 large bananas)- mashed.
- 1 c shredded zucchini
- 1/4 c nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 c coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c sugar free maple syrup (agave/honey)
- Natural sweetener to taste (can omit)
- 1/3-1/2 c vegan choc chips (discount code TQT398)
- Preheat oven to 175C. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with silicon molds or baking paper and set a side.
- In a small small bowl, mix together the maple syrup, vanilla and sweetener. Stir in the Greek yogurt, egg, mashed banana and zucchini **add coconut oil here.
- In a medium bowl, gently mix the protein powder, flour, baking soda and powder and salt.
- Pour the wet and dry ingredients gently. Slowly fold the batter whilst slowly stirring in the almond milk (will still be quite thick).
- Fold in the choc chips. (Do not over mix the batter, which will lead to dry, tough muffins).
- Pour the batter between the 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for 18-20min (depending on your oven). A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Allow the muffins to cool completely.
Makes 12 muffins.