Low carb spinach and feta lasagna rolls! By using zucchini instead of pasta, this is one delicious, cheesy, gluten free dinner. Only 7g of carbs and 210 calories per serve.
On my off/rest days (which means a rest from working out 🙂 ) I eat low carb and higher fat. So because today is an off day and it is the day of post Christmas feasting, I decide to make super low carb lasagna! And what better way to do that than to use zucchini.
I love zucchini, it is so versatile and doesn’t have an over powering taste. It actually really absorbs and enhances flavors, and when your cooking Italian style foods this is perfect!
When slicing the zucchini I used the mandoline side of a 4 way block cheese grater (it’s the weird smiley face side) but you could use a real mandoline, sometimes called a v-slicer. This is super quick, easy and the zucchini comes out in even slices and they are kind of “ribbon-y” which means they will very easily roll up with out snapping.
Zucchini’s can let out a lot of liquid when they are being cooked. So I made sure I tried to soaked up as much of the liquid as I could with paper towels after slicing. Some people also grill the zucchini after slicing and then blot with a paper towels as well to try and reduce the liquid even mroe (but I didn’t do this).
Made a Miss K recipe? Be sure to tag me @missk_j6 and #MissK_J6 on instagram, so I can check out all your amazing recreations!
Healthy low carb spinach and feta lasagna rolls
- 1 c (250g) low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 c (100g) reduced fat feta cheese
- 1/2 c (100g) + 3 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c spinach (I used frozen spinach and prepared as per the instructions)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste/or omit)
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 large zucchini cut lengthwise into 8 (approx 0.5 cm thick) slices
- Place all of the ingredients, except the 3 tbsp mozzarella cheese, to a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Slice each zucchini lengthwise into 8, approx 0.5 cm thick slices, I used the mandolin side of a cheese grater.
- Place the zucchini onto paper towels and blot any excess liquid.
- Constructing the Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 190C and spray a large casserole dish with EVOO (I didn’t have a large one so I used two 26x12cm dishes, which perfectly fit 8 rolls each).
- Lay out the zucchini slices and spoon about a tablespoon of the filling onto one side and roll up the zucchini (as seen above in GIF) and place each roll “seam” side down in the dish.
- Repeat for the remaining 15 rolls.
- Top the zucchini rolls with the remaining mozzarella cheese (I also added some sriracha and spring onion on top of mine).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbling.
Nutrition per serve – 210 Calories Protein 19, Carbs 7, Fat 11.