The best ever banana protein bread! Moist, tender, perfectly sweet with a slight tangy-ness from the maple frosting, deliciously banana-y and it’s only 149 calories per serve.
I know this may sound like a bold statement but it is seriously good! I have made
a few, make that A LOT of banana breads over the years of Miss K and I have finally made the best ever HEALTHY banana bread.
That beautiful buttery, banana-y, perfectly sweet taste with every bite. And even though this recipe has been lightened up it does not take away from the classic banana bread flavour and texture.
Oh that maple frosting! It just takes this bread to a whole other level! Though, yes, it is optional (it is included in the calories) you can omit for a lower calorie banana bread. But I highly encourage you add it… all of it. SO so yum.
The base of the frosting is cream cheese but the addition if the maple syrup and salt, and of course sweetener, really offsets the cream cheese taste. To be honest it is more like a glaze then a frosting.
The bread is soft, moist and tender. It rises like a true banana bread, which is sometimes hard to perfect when you change ingredients around to make healthier versions of bread. Healthy breads can turn out flat, thick and seriously dense. But not this bread! I think the addition of an egg and one egg white really help lighten the bread assisting it to rise, so it is moist and fluffy.
The smell of banana bread is the best, wafting through the house. I think banana bread smell should be sold as an air freshener scent. Actually it’d probably make me continuously hungry haha.
This really is a simple recipe, only taking minutes to throw together. An hour or so in the oven, which will make your house smell amazing! And then allowing to cool completely before drizzling the frosting over the top.
Made a Miss K recipe? Be sure to tag me on instagram and #MissK_J6 so I can check out all your amazing recreations!
healthy banana protein bread with maple frosting
- 1 c spelt flour (or oat flour)
- 1 c vanilla protein powder (can use wholewheat/oat flour)
- 3 overly ripe large sized bananas (roughly mashed)
- 1/2 c + a tbsp (170g) no fat Greek yogurt (I used coconut chobani)
- 1/3 c natural sweetener (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar (can omit or replace with brown sugar)
- 1/4 sugar free maple syrup (or pure maple syrup)
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c melted coconut oil (melted)
- 125g extra light cream cheese
- 3/4 c (100g) natural sweetener (erythritol – blended into a fine powder)
- 1/4 c (60g) maple syrup (or pure maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar (20g) (can omit or replace with brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp (15ml) coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 175C and line a 8×4 loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a large sized bowl. Toss together the flour, protein powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Place aside.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the remaining ingredients. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined (don’t over mix or the bread will be tough).
- Pour the batter into the tin.
- Bake for 65-70 mins (depends on your oven), then leave in tin for 5 minutes to rest before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- At about 30 mins I put aluminum foil over the bread to stop the top from burning.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before adding the frosting.
- Frosting –
- Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth (I used a ninja).
- Drizzle over the top of the banana bread.
Nutrition including frosting – Calories 149, Protein 13, Carbs 13, Fat 5